Founded in 1996 by investment managers with decades of respected experience in the field, Farr, Miller & Washington combines analytical and management excellence with accessibility and close client contact. Our focus is on providing conservative long-term portfolio management to individuals and institutions in the Washington, D.C. area and across the nation.
Farr, Miller & Washington's investment management is based on market wisdom rather than market whim. We believe that stocks are the best way for most long-term investors to satisfy their financial goals, and we focus our energies on selecting the most appropriate securities for each portfolio. Our equity orientation is balanced by our expertise in fixed-income securities, which satisfies that portion of a client's portfolio requiring low-volatility, income producing investments.
We Depend on Our Clients
Farr, Miller & Washington manages equity, balanced, fixed income, ETF, and cash management accounts, and provides tax and estate consultation for individuals and institutions. Each kind of account represents a particular combination of risk and reward. Through the close relationship we forge with each client, we can select the most appropriate investments, shape the portfolio to meet individual goals, and manage it to optimize long-run performance.
Michael Farr’s Speaking Engagements
April 23, 2013 – Washington, DC
Sibley Memorial Hospital, Sibley Senior Association
Smart Investing in a Challenging Economy
March 14, 2013 – Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia Securities Association
"2nd Annual Winter Social"
More Information »
February 12, 2013 – University of Delaware – Newark, DE
Lyons Companies & University of Delaware Center for Education and Entrepreneurship
"2013 Economic Forecast"
More Information »
January 10, 2013 – Philadelphia, PA
The CFA Society of Philadelphia
"2013 Annual Forecast Dinner"
More Information »
October 3, 2012- Philadelphia, PA
The Philadelphia Council for Business Economics A Chapter of NABE
"The Markets: Current and Future Challenges"
More Information »
If you would like Michael Farr to speak at your meeting or event please contact Katherine Kawecki at 202/449-9802 or send email to email@example.com.
Recently in the News
- May 13, 2013 CNBC Fast Adviser: Best Long-Term Investing Ideas
- April 23, 2013 PBS Frontline Accountability and Fees: Is your Advisor accountable and responsible for fees?
- March 28, 2013 CNBC The Dollar Gets Stronger: Farr
- March 22, 2013 Huffington Post Be Bullish! Bernanke Has Spoken!
- March 5, 2013 U.S. News & World Report Putting the Brakes on Your Gas Spending
- March 14, 2013 CNBC Popes, Politicians, and Bulls
- March 6, 2013 The Huffington Post Keep Your Eye on the Middle Class
- February 21, 2013 University of Delaware Experts say recovery hinges on sense of unity, financial balance
- January 24, 2013 The Huffington Post Obama Never Exceeded U.S. Budget
- January 3, 2013 CNBC Welcome to the Fiscal Farce!
- November 25, 2012 The Washington Post Value Added: Who said English teachers can't get rich?
- November 14, 2012 CNBC Farr: Putting Numbers to the 'Fiscal Cliff'
- November 11, 2012 The Washington Post Advice for Congress on the "fiscal cliff"
- November 6, 2012 Wall Street Journal U.S. Stocks Climb as Voters Head to Polls; Cyclical Sectors Lead
- November 2, 2012 WVXU What Happens After the Election?
- October 30, 2012 Voice of America After Sandy, Wall Street Closed for 2nd Day
- October 21, 2012 USA Today High profile earnings letdowns sour investors
- October 19, 2012 Huffington Post Michael Farr A Worried Investor Is a Bullish Investor
- October 5, 2012 Huffington Post Presidential Debates and Middle-Class Economics
- October 4, 2012 USA Today Traders see more market volatility after debate
- September 27, 2012 CNBC Farr: Is Housing Finally Showing Signs of Life?
- September 24, 2012 NBC News Stocks soar, but money managers are cautious
- September 19, 2012 SF Gate U.S. Stocks Little Changed as Energy Slump Tempers Housing Data
- September 17, 2012 PR Newswire A Leading Financial Strategist Michael K. Farr Authors New Book, Restoring Our American Dream: The Best Investment
- September 14, 2012 CNBC What I'm Buying Into This Rally: Michael Farr
- September 14, 2012 USA Today Stocks continue Federal Reserve-fueled rally
- September 13, 2012 USA Today Stocks shoot higher on Fed's decision to buy more bonds
- September 11, 2012 CNBC Wall Street rises before Fed, Dow near first-year high
- September 8, 2012USA Today Market magic: 83 stocks are at or near all-time highs
- August 30, 2012 Washington Post Carlyle Group to acquire DuPont auto paint business in $5 billion deal
- August 17, 2012 USA Today For wary investors, buying stocks now might pay off
- August 14, 2012 Wall Street Journal Consumer Plays Support US Stocks
- June 21, 2012 WSJ Online Morning MarketBeat: Fed’s Twist Draws Skeptics
- June 11, 2012 USA Today U.S. investors worry bailout of Spain won't be enough
- June 5, 2012 Bloomberg Wall Street CEO Pay Rises 20% With KKR's Kravis No. 1
- June 4, 2012 Politico Politicians must ditch expediency before fiscal cliff
- May 10, 2012 USA Today SEC and other regulators 'focused' on JPMorgan's $2B loss
- April 27, 2012 WSJ Online GDP Won't Sway Bernanke's Stance on QE3
- April 17, 2012 WSJ Online Apple Shares Lose Shine
- April 5, 2012 WSJ Online Facebook Liking Nasdaq Represents Big Blow For NYSE
- March 21, 2012 Fox Business What Is a Bull Market?
- March 16, 2012 The Associated Press Goldman manifesto echoes past questions about bank
- March 8, 2012 USA Today Ask Matt: Will rising oil prices kill the stock rally?
- February 11, 2012 WSJ Online Crossing a Golden Barrier
- February 3, 2012 USA Today Internet stocks bounce back
- February 2, 2012 Voice of America Ban on US Congressional Insider Trading Advances
- February 1, 2012 USA Today Can S&P 500 stay above 1300 this time?
- January 10, 2012 NASDAQ Turn Of The Year Unlikely To Provide Clarity For Equities
- December 30, 2011 Economy Watch New Year Resolutions: How to Save More in 2012
- December 29, 2011 The Wall Street Journal New Year's money-saving resolutions
- December 28, 2011 The Wall Street Journal VIX Creeps Higher This Week As Europe Overhang Persists
- December 14, 2011 The Wall Street Journal U.S. Stocks Fall After Fed Statement
- November 30, 2011 The Washington Post Leonsis, Case found $450 million fund to aid Washington area start-up firms
- November 30, 2011 USA Today Progress in Europe, job gains send US stocks soaring
- November 28, 2011 CNBC Stocks Stage Big Rally (Video)
- November 21, 2011 USA Today Panel's inability to cut debt deal reflects divide
- November 18, 2011CBS Money Watch Is it bargain hunting time for European stocks?
- November 17, 2011The Washington Post Legg Mason's William Miller to step down in April
- November 17, 2011The Huffington Post Investors: Don't Rejoice but Don't Despair
- November 16, 2011The Washington Times Red, white and goo: Has America gone soft?
- October 26, 2011PBS Nightly Business Report What the Eurozone Means for Investment Strategy (Video)
- October 23, 2011WJLA Washington Business Report (Video)
- October 19, 2011Politico Occupy Wall Street: The outcry against arrogance
- October 14, 2011USA Today Dow, Nasdaq move back into black for the year
- October 11, SmartMoney.com Dead Stocks Walking
- August 2, 2011USA Today Slumping stock market's not cheering debt ceiling deal
- July 19, 2011Los Angeles Times Fears rise in global markets as debt woes mount
- July 8, 2011Rush Limbaugh Rick Santelli: No Compromise!
- June 8, 2011Bloomberg Businessweek Shrinking Valuations Drive Bank Payroll Cuts to Buoy Profits
- May 1, 2011The Business Insider Sell In May And Go Away?
- April 4, 2011USA Today Stocks' big first quarter rally faces headwinds in 2Q
- March 25, 2011USA Today Tax refund: Save, invest or fritter it away?
- February 8, 2011University of Delaware Event Michael Farr : 2011 Economic Forecast
- January 6, 2011WSJ MarketWatchRecent Surge In Follow-Ons Offers Encouraging Clues For 2011
- December 25, 2010WSJ MarketWatchWall Street could be too complacent
- November 19, 2010WSJ MarketWatchInvestors 'circling the wagons' (audio)
- October 28, 2010USA Today81% of S&P 500 companies beat earnings forecasts
- October 23, 2010Pittsburgh-TribuneStocks dip, but end week ahead
- October 22, 2010MarketWatchUS Blue-Chip Stocks Slip As Earnings Prompt Growth Concerns
- October 14, 2010Bank Investment ConsultantJPMorgan Chase Revenue Is Industry Stress Signal
- October 7, 2010The Osgood FileWhat's Behind the Latest Surge?
- September 22, 2010Forex Tools AsiaBank of America, Citi results show hurdles ahead (pdf)
- September 14, 2010StreetIQ.comGains no thanks to today's reports (podcast)
- September 13, 2010Smart MoneyLehman Still Haunts Wall Street Efforts to Rebuild Broken Model (pdf)
- September 10, 2010Smart MoneyDow Posts Modest Advance (pdf)
- September 8, 2010USA Today'Flash crash' may be sparking stock fund withdrawals (pdf)
- September 3, 2010Wall Street Cheat SheetDon't Be a Hater: Stocks are NOT Evil (pdf)
- September 1, 2010CNBCMidweek Market Rally (video)
- August 30, 2010US News and World Report5 Retirement Myths (pdf)
- August 20, 2010MarketWatchFarr: Investors are 'sick of the market' (pdf)
- August 9, 2010CME MarketsDJ US Stocks Higher As Federal Reserve Meeting Looms DJIA Up 56 (pdf)
- August 9, 2010Smart MoneyInvestors Wait on the Fed (pdf)
- August 9, 2010MarketWatchUS Stocks Trade In Narrow Range Ahead Of Fed Decision (pdf)
- August 4, 2010CNBCTime to Start Hiring? (video)
- August 4, 2010PBS Nightly Business ReportStreet Critique (video)
- August 4, 2010USA TodayS&P 500 has climbed back into the black for the year
- July 27, 2010CNBCPay Investors or Hire Workers? (video)
- July 23, 2010Banker & TradesmanBofA, Citi Results Show Loan Demand Lackluster (pdf)
- July 20, 2010eWorldPostGoldman Sachs Profits Drop by 82 Percent (pdf)
- July 20, 2010Reuters: Business NewsGoldman Sachs Profit Drops 82%, Missing Analysts' Estimates (pdf)
- July 16, 2010Reuters: Business NewsCORRECTED - BofA and Citi results show loan demand lacklustre (pdf)
- July 12, 2010Market WatchData, Outlooks & Your Money (Video)
- July 12, 2010Market WatchUS Stocks Flit Between Small Gains, Losses Ahead Of 2Q Reports (PDF)
- July 9, 2010CNBC Squawk BoxFarr Shares Outlook (Video)
- June 29, 2010Market WatchWorries Mount (PDF)
- June 7, 2010SmartMoneyDow Finishes Below 'Flash Crash' Low (PDF)
- May 21, 2010DoomDailyThe Road to Recession (PDF)
- May 13, 2010Industry-News.comExporting Profits Imports U.S. Tax Reductions for Pfizer, Lilly, Oracle (PDF)
- May 12, 2010American BankerEurope's Debt Crisis, U.S. Banks' Exposure (PDF)
- May 10, 2010USA TodayMarket exchanges agree to bolster circuit breakers (PDF)
- May 10, 2010Wall Street JournalInvestment Advisors React To Rocky Day On Wall Street (PDF)
- April 19, 2010Business WeekGoldman Sachs Stock, Board Under Pressure Amid Probe (PDF)
- April 19, 2010USA TodayGoldman Sachs charges raise fears among investors (PDF)
- April 16, 2010ReutersCheap health stocks seen outpacing other sectors (PDF)
- April 7, 2010PBSStreet Critique - Michael Farr of Farr, Miller, and Washington (video)
- March 24, 2010USA TodayPlan adds Medicare tax on high earners' investment income (PDF)
- March 17, 2010iTalkCash.comMorning Stock Talk - Too many questions hang over the market (Podcast)
- March 9, 2010AAP.comAs bull market turns 1, is it time to party, or worry?
- March 9, 2010USA TodayLatest bull market celebrates its first birthday (PDF)
- March 4, 2010USA TodayDividends, buybacks, mergers are positive signs for investors (PDF)
- February 25, 2010The Wall Street JournalFed Chairman Helps Stocks Stanch Slide
- February 24, 2010PBS Nightly Business ReportSTREET CRITIQUE - Michael Farr
- February 24, 2010The Wall Street Journal MarketWatchUS Stocks Rally On Bernanke's Comments; Banks, Techs Gain
- February 18, 2010Money ManagerChange Your Investment Plan Now!
- February 15, 2010USA TodayInvestors are anxious as economic fixes unwind
- February 5, 2010TheMiddleMareket.comObama to Banks: Big is Bad
- January 27, 2010UDailyTreasury official, experts wary of commercial real estate crisis
- January 27, 2010The Sacramento BeeHold on tight: It's likely market anxiety will only continue
- January 25, 2010Barron's CoverDiet Time!
- January 21, 2010The Compliance Exchange Goldman Sachs Posts Record Profit on Bonus Pool Cuts
- January 21, 2010Forex Learning Goldman trims pay, posts profit as shares fall
- January 19, 2010Lights It Is Posterous Citigroup reports earnings before the bell.
- January 19, 2010CNBC Two Wise Wall Street Watchers (Video)
- January 19, 2010Ameritrade U.S. stocks hit new 15-mth high on health stocks
- January 19, 2010UDaily Jan. 20: 2010 Economic Forecast panel discussion at UD
- December 31, 2009Boston.com - MarketWatch Morning Stock TalkFarr: Why the market is afraid of good news
- December 31, 2009The Baltimore Sun Companies with international operations expected perform best in new year as economy recovers
- December 30, 2009CNBC Top 10 Stock Picks for 2010 (Video)
- December 30, 2009CNBC Mini-Boom in 2010? (Video)
- December 22, 2009CNBC The Bullish Treasury Yield Curve (Video)
- December 14, 2009CNBC Are Financials a Buy? (Video)
- December 11, 2009Bloomberg CVS Gets $1 Billion Benefits Contract in Texas
- December 10, 2009New York Times Dealbook Bank of America Finishes TARP Repayment
- December 7, 2009 CNBC Michael Farr on Buy and Hold Debate (video)
- November 30, 2009 CNBC Assessing Retail, Dubai Impact (video)
- November 18, 2009 PBS Nightly Business Report STREET CRITIQUE with Michael Farr
- November 17, 2009 iStockAnalyst.com Bernanke reassurance sends stocks up
- November 13, 2009 Britannia Radio Jim Rogers: I Have No Shorts Now
- November 12, 2009 The Miami Herald Further gains predicted on Wall Street
- November 11, 2009 MarketWatch Past suggests further rise for stock market, strategist says
- October 29, 2009 CNBC, The Kudlow Report Time for Fed to Tighten? (Video)
- October 21, 2009 PBS Nightly Business Report STREET CRITIQUE - Michael Farr
- October 14, 2009 Wall Street Journal Blogs Dow 10000: ‘It’s Lost Its Novelty’
- October 14, 2009 Smart Money Why Investors Hate Making Money
- August 25, 2009Boston Globe Farr: Continued stock gains are nonsensical
- August 17, 2009 Wall Street Journal Blogs How Low Will It Go?: Is This Pullback the Long-Awaited Correction?
- May 21, 2009 Dow Jones Newswires DJ TIP SHEET: Money Managers Like Google, JPMorgan...And Cash
- May 13, 2009 Washington Post Markets Dive on Weak Retail Sales
- May 4, 2009 USA Today Rallying Stocks Hint at Economic Rebound
- March 11, 2009 USA TODAY Wall Street shakes off some pain, but can rally last? (pdf)
- November 14, 2008 The Wall Street Journal Dow Shakes Off Drop, Roars Up 552.59 (pdf)
- July 2008 Bloomberg Markets No Easy Fix (pdf)
- June 3, 2008 US News & World Report Is $1 Million Enough to Retire On? (pdf)
- March 3, 2008 ABC News.com "Author Michael Farr Says You Can Start Saving in Your 30s, 40s, or 50s"
- February 13, 2007 The Wall Street Journal Fresh Credit-Market Worry Deflates Financials-Led Rally (pdf)
- January 9, 2008 USA TODAY Stocks off to worst start ever (pdf)
- August 20, 2007 The Wall Street Journal Credit, Profit Woes May Hit Stocks Even if Fed Acts Fast (pdf)
- June 22, 2007 The Wall Street Journal Kraft Rises; Starbucks, Sonic Slide (pdf)
- May 31, 2007 USA TODAY What follows a stock market record? More of 'em
Did You See Us?
Michael Farr is a CNBC Contributor and appears regularly on CNN, NPR, and Associated Press Radio. He is quoted in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and many others. His new book The Arrogance Cycle is in bookstores and on Amazon.com now!
Subscribe to our eNewsletter
To receive the Farr, Miller & Washington Market Commentary, please enter your email address below.